About Me

My photo
Amanda has been a hockey fan since her beloved Whalers were still where they belong, Hartford CT. When her team defected to the south, she transfered her allegiance to the Bruins. She maintains that you can be a Bruins and a Yankees fan at the same time. Her likes include Milan Lucic, fights (which are synonomous with Lucic) the word "wicked" used as an adjective and foam bear claws. Her pet peeves are punks that push her at Joe Louis Arena and having to have two forms of ID just to buy beer at the Garden

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Favorite Thing #1: Mika


As you may or may not know, Queen is probably one of my all-time favorite artists. So, when my sister told me "you have to listen to this guy Mika. He sounds just like Freddie Mercury", I was a little sceptical. How could anyone sound like Freddie and not be just a hack. So, I did a little research and found he was described as "Freddie Mercury meets the Scissor Sisters meets David Bowie." Anyone who knows me knows that while I may love Queen, I absolutely HEART Bowie. I gave Mika a shot and I was not disappointed. His song "Grace Kelley" is such an exuberant, head bopping song that I could listen to it on repeat a million times and the kitschy lyrics of "Big Girl (You are Beautiful)" and "Lollipop" get me smiling every time. And if his songs are good, his videos are even better. I first saw a Mika video for "Grace Kelly" in Greece last year (Europeans and South Africans are obsessed with him) and I laughed the whole time. But the best video (and song for that matter) by far has to be "Big Girls". Check it out and hopefully you too will become a Mika fan.







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I am amazing for telling you to listen to Mika! How could you ever doubt me? :) Anyways, "Big Girls" is BY FAR the best song and most hilarious, especially when you enact the dance moves that Rohini came up with during the middle of the night during finals.

Amy W. said...

Maybe I will download some Mika...since we like all the same stuff anyway.

doyleke2 said...

Why do I remember a KChau weekend report about seeing this same fellow in concert. Wonder if I still have it

John said...

I remember the first time I hear Mika and I was pretty impressed. Not as into it as you are of course, but this coming from the same guy who was disappointed with Twilight.