About Me

My photo
Amanda has been a hockey fan since her beloved Whalers were still where they belong, Hartford CT. When her team defected to the south, she transfered her allegiance to the Bruins. She maintains that you can be a Bruins and a Yankees fan at the same time. Her likes include Milan Lucic, fights (which are synonomous with Lucic) the word "wicked" used as an adjective and foam bear claws. Her pet peeves are punks that push her at Joe Louis Arena and having to have two forms of ID just to buy beer at the Garden

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Favorite THing #10: My Fair Lady

Last night, the Trifecta (Katie, Amy and myself), decided to stay classy and attend the Hygienic's outdoor presentation of My Fair Lady. We were originally planning on going last week, but it got rained out and luckily was rescheduled to this week instead. I have always been a huge fan of not only musicals but of Audrey Hepburn as well, so needless to say, I love this movie. As our husbands/boyfriend would say, the Trifecta are exactly the same and therefore Katie and Amy also love this movie as well. While watching the film in the lovely garden setting that is the Hygienic Park, I realized something. This movie would make a perfect All I need to know in life I learned from... poster. So I decided to put one together...



I learned that everyone knows someone who is an Eliza Doolittle, Henry Higgins, Colonel Pickering, Alfie Doolittle, or Freddie Eynsford-Hill.

*Eliza Doolittle - a incredibly mini person prone to high pitched screechy noises and saying ridiculously funny things. ("You oughta be stuffed with nails, you ought! ") But in the end, all the guys want her because she is irresistible to guys.

* Henry Higgings - a confirmed old bachelor who thinks that the minute he becomes friends with a woman, she will fall in love with him and will want to be his only female friend and is therefore jealous of all other females in his life. "Let the others of my sex, tie the knot around their necks, I prefer a new edition of the Spanish Inquisition than to ever let a woman in my life"

*Colonel Pickering - a kindly gentleman who treats a woman nicely no matter how mean his friends are being. He has a tendency of being quite chatty and is always snappily dressed. "Well, just let's call her a "good friend", shall we? I beg your pardon! Listen to me, my man, I don't like the tenor of that question - what we do with her is our affair - your affair is bringing her back so we can continue doing it! "

*Alfie Doolittle - a portly fellow prone to saying ridiculous stuff especially when drunk (which he is often). "Beer, beer, glorious beer!"

*Freddie-Eynsford Hill - a lovable guy who pines after a woman, sending her love letters every day. ("Darling, how could you imagine such a thing? You know how I feel. I've written two and three times a day telling you. Sheets and sheets! ") However, he is so nice that he often gets looked over and stepped on in favor of a guy who is grumpier and not as devoted as he is.

I learned a new set of phrases that can be used in every day conversation.

*"Stop crooning like a bilious pigeon" (useful when someone won't stop whining)

*"You toady ignoramus" (when someone is being a complete idiot)

*"Heartless guttersnipe" (useful for a mean woman)

*"Come on ____ Move yer bloomin' arse" (to move someone along that is going to slow for you)

*"I'm a good girl I am!" (when accused of something you didn't do)

*"I'm wanting to tell you, I'm willing to tell you, I'm waiting to tell you" (when someone wants you to tell them something and won't wait long enough for you to get it out)

I learned useful weather information about Europe

* The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain

*In Hartford, Hereford and Hampshire, hurricanes hardly ever happen

Feel free to contribute your own lessons learned if I missed anything!

No comments: