About Me

My photo
Amanda has been a hockey fan since her beloved Whalers were still where they belong, Hartford CT. When her team defected to the south, she transfered her allegiance to the Bruins. She maintains that you can be a Bruins and a Yankees fan at the same time. Her likes include Milan Lucic, fights (which are synonomous with Lucic) the word "wicked" used as an adjective and foam bear claws. Her pet peeves are punks that push her at Joe Louis Arena and having to have two forms of ID just to buy beer at the Garden

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Favorite Thing #4: Guitar Hero




Not since Pac-Man has there been a game as great as Guitar Hero. Don't get me wrong - Pac-Man was and is still great. Up until this year, it was my favorite video game ever. I even have the old school box that you hook up to your tv, which currently is broken because I wore out the joystick. What I loved about Pac-Man (besides the awesome woop woop noise he made as he traversed the screen) was that you didn't need to be a pre-pubescent boy to be moderatly good at it. It didn't require you to move a joystick with one finger while simultaneosly pushing the two buttons furthest away from eachother. It did, however, result in "claw hand" after playing it for awhile, not unlike my husband's recent hand predicament.


Guitar Hero takes the simplicity of Pac-Man and makes it even cooler by having you rock out to one of the best collections of songs I have ever heard. And while it is possible, it is very hard to actually be HORRIBLE enough at the game to get booed off the stage at the beginner level. It's a great confidence booster for the video game challanged like myself when your guitar playing alter ego gives "metal fingers" and you see "YOU ROCK" splashed across the screen. Because let's face it, we all like to be told we rock. What makes Guitar Hero even better is if you have a ear for music, or play an instrument (piano is the best IMO), you are even better at Guitar Hero than your average person. Video game skill would probably also help, but if you have no ear for music, you will never rock at Guitar Hero. Its a great feeling to finally beat a bunch of boys at a video game. Its also fun to yell "In Your Face" or "You Really Do Suck At This Game" after you have completly demoralized them in front of all of your friends.
P.S. - as an added benefit, you can choose one of the totally hardcore chick rockers with super awesomly bad-ass hair and clothes that you could never get away with in real life but wish you could. Also, metal fingers every time you complete a song are totally appropriate.

2 comments:

John said...

As you know Amanda, I bow before you at the rock altar of Guitar Hero. If I had to play against you on medium, I would be slaughtered. I think people like you and Katie who have the piano experience actually have leg up on life long video gamers like myself. I have only had to use my thumbs and pointer fingers in the past. Now I realize I was born deficient pinkies that just don't work the fret buttons.

Amy W. said...

You actually can get booed off the stage on easy, if you have no sense of rhythm whatsoever (like me).