About Me

My photo
Amanda has been a hockey fan since her beloved Whalers were still where they belong, Hartford CT. When her team defected to the south, she transfered her allegiance to the Bruins. She maintains that you can be a Bruins and a Yankees fan at the same time. Her likes include Milan Lucic, fights (which are synonomous with Lucic) the word "wicked" used as an adjective and foam bear claws. Her pet peeves are punks that push her at Joe Louis Arena and having to have two forms of ID just to buy beer at the Garden

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Favorite Thing #15: Etsy

A few months ago, my good friends Nicole and Natalie mentioned a neat website that they had bought jewelry off of called Etsy. It is a "online store" of sorts for artists to advertise and sell their goods. It completely slipped my mind until a few weeks ago, when I decided to check out the website and see what it was all about. Let me tell you, this website it glorious! You can find almost anything you could want: Jewelry, pottery, one of a kind clothing, artwork and pretty much anything a person could make. I found two artists, funkychickendesign and mosaico who makes face plates for outlets that I might have to purchase to add a little pizzazz to my decor. Another favorite artist of mine is CorkAndCotton which features handbags made of, you guessed it, cork and cotton. But perhaps the greatest thing about Etsy is that there is a whole category for vintage clothing. Most of the sellers are vintage enthusiasts, like myself and Amy W. who need to reduce their collection, or whose hobby is to find vintage clothing at estate sales, vintage shops, etc. and sell it. Every time you check the website there is something new. And while a lot of it is 80's vintage (a period of time I do NOT find interesting, fashion wise), you can also get some really great stuff for a very reasonable price. Already, I have purchased a blouse (late 70's, early 80's?), a brand new, never worn plaid pea coat from the 60's, two 60's era shirt-dresses and a wasp waist blazer from the 1940's. I am addicted to this site. Its gotten so bad that I check it every morning and every night, for fear that someone will post something amazing and I will miss out. Even if you aren't necessarily a vintage fiend, you can still find some neat things for cheaper than buying new.






1 comment:

Amy W. said...

Etsy is either the best or worst thing ever. best because you can always find stuff, worst because I do not want to add up the amount of money I have spent there!