About Me

My photo
Amanda has been a hockey fan since her beloved Whalers were still where they belong, Hartford CT. When her team defected to the south, she transfered her allegiance to the Bruins. She maintains that you can be a Bruins and a Yankees fan at the same time. Her likes include Milan Lucic, fights (which are synonomous with Lucic) the word "wicked" used as an adjective and foam bear claws. Her pet peeves are punks that push her at Joe Louis Arena and having to have two forms of ID just to buy beer at the Garden

Thursday, November 13, 2008

OT: A Public Apology to Tim Thomas

Dear Tim Thomas,

I have never been your biggest fan (or even a fan at all). I constantly question why the Bruins aren't willing to invest money in a Goalie, have likened your goal tending to falling on your fat ass and occasionally stopping the puck at the same time, and love to scream obscenities at you. But I'd like to apologize for that (for now). Anyone who knows me knows that I hate apologies, both coming from me and aimed at myself. I have even before admitted that I am wrong, but told my husband Kevin that I refuse to apologize. The only time apologies are cool are when they take the form of a song by Nerfherder.



My point is, apologies don't come natural to me. But you deserve it. Normally, your playing reminds me of the Katy Perry song "Hot and Cold". You make an incredible save and then the next shot on goal just slides past you. Or, you have two or three shutouts in a row and then completely bomb for several games afterwards. But so far this season, you have been on fire. Last night, you helped the rest of your team stave off the Blackhawks on their numerous power plays. Usually I cringe, because you guys are usually terrible at 4 on 5, but your help, the 'Hawks were shut down. A few weeks ago, you even played something like 158 minutes without allowing a shot in. 11th overall, you currently lead the league in GAA and Save%, which to my recollection is unheard of for you. I know there is a lot of ice time left, but it is shaping up to be a great season for you. For the first time, I actually believe that you deserve to be the lead Goaltender.

Its really too bad you didn't play this well last season when you were nominated for the Allstar Team. This year, you were left off the ballot, but you actually deserve to be there. Hopefully enough fans will write you in. I know I did, as penance for my doubt of you at the beginning of the season.

So, Tim Thomas, here's to you and your fat ass. I hope you continue to do well and don't wind up on my shit list again.

Sincerely,
Amanda Lester

P.S. After I wrote this letter to you, I stumbled across a great article by James Duthie of the Ottowa Citizen that likened you to "a freshly caught fish on the bottom of a boat" and goes on to state that
"Boston's Tim Thomas is the best thing to happen to goaltending since the mask.
Where do I start? He's small, so his equipment doesn't make him eclipse the net like some of those Jabba The Hutt look-alikes. He doesn't have one of those robotic techniques. Heck, I'm not sure he has any technique! If he does the butterfly, it looks like it's missing a wing, flying in all directions. Every night with Thomas is like Live at the Improv. He's made the position fun again....Thomas makes ugly, ridiculous, impossible saves nightly. And just to make things interesting, he's occasionally awful. When that happens, when he flips when he should have flopped, he gets so mad at himself, it looks like David Banner turning into The Hulk. "
Perhaps I have been undervaluing you all along.

2 comments:

Amy W. said...

I think you need to actually mail this. At least mail it to the sports section of the Boston Globe.

Unknown said...

No one reads the globe...send it to the Herald.